Land Rover Continues to Raise the Bar for Autonomous Vehicle Testing
Over the last several years, Land Rover has been helping to push the envelope with regard to self-driving cars by researching and developing some of the most innovative autonomous driving technologies around. More recently, in 2016, Jaguar Land Rover began a collaboration with UK Autodrive with the goal of bringing connected and autonomous vehicle tech to drivers for a safer, more convenient, and more eco-friendly future.
Last year, Land Rover announced its goal of creating an entire fleet of self-driving vehicles, which would also possess the ability to drive off-road independently. Working with UK Autodrive, early development has included three different areas of focus, including:
- Advanced Highway Assist – This feature ensures the vehicle stays in its lane, and it can also maneuver the car to overtake another vehicle.
- Electronic Emergency Brake Light Assist – This feature is able to recognize when a vehicle up ahead suddenly brakes.
- Green Light Optimal Speed Advisory – This feature is connected to traffic lights and suggests recommended speeds for reaching lights when they’re green, thus reducing fuel waste that results from idling and accelerating from a standstill.
Land Rover recently released an autonomously-driving version of the Land Rover Range Rover Sport. It is a Level 4 self-driving vehicle, which means it is able to deal with virtually all driving circumstances in select situations, including:
- Reading and responding to traffic lights
- Navigating normal intersections and roundabouts
- Accelerating, braking, and other common driving situations
On top of that, Land Rover also recently gave Lyft a fleet of vehicles, along with a $25 million investment, for the purposes of experimenting with self-driving vehicle technology in relation to ride-share services.
Stay Ahead of the Curve at Land Rover Fort Myers
You may not be able to take home a self-driving Land Rover SUV just yet, but Land Rover is already implementing some impressive driver assistance features across its new vehicle lineup. Drivers throughout Bonita Springs and Cape Coral can experience the latest tech in person here at Land Rover Fort Myers, where our staff will gladly guide you through the many exciting new Land Rover models available, as well as the benefits of buying versus leasing a new vehicle. Come see us at 15875 S. Tamiami Trail in Fort Myers, or contact us at (866) 591-5472 for more information.